Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Benefits and Pay

I find it very interesting that most of the working population would say that their pay is the biggest factor that contributes to them either staying or leaving a job. While pay is a very good way that companies can show appreciation for employees and retain current employees, it is not the only way. There are many benefits that companies can give to their employees that foster appreciation, growth, dedication, and ultimately profits for the company.

Oddly enough, many people will place employee pay and other benefits as part of the same category. In most cases they can be separated. Benefits can include any incentives or perks outside regular pay. These benefits can include things that are required by law, flexibility, vacation time, insurance, wellness programs, and other job perks (e.g. free lunch). With all these things that help retain and attract employees,the proper management and execution of these is imperative.

So now I compare these things that I have read about and my real life experiences. I can understand that pay is not the only thing that can help retain employees. Even something as simple as my boss showing appreciation for something that I have done recently goes a long way. For me it makes me want to do even better. I am paid salary plus bonuses, but my pay is not (necessarily) keeping me from finding new employment. It is the benefits that I am receiving that have kept me there long term. I feel that I have learned a lot in my management position. I have become a leader for other stores to follow. I get to work with at great team including those that work with me (my employees) and those that I work with (other managers and my boss). The benefits that I feel that I have at my job only aid me in wanting to perform better for the company. Any world class company will give its employees all the attention, benefits, and pay that they can in order to foster growth and employee loyalty to the company.

No comments:

Post a Comment