Saturday, October 23, 2010

A Busy Week

This past week has felt busier than most busy weeks. Any normal week for me involves going to school all day on Tuesdays and Thursdays, going to work an additional 50+ hours throughout the week, while also trying to find time for my wife and little boy. This week I also had a visit from my boss and his boss. Now don't get me wrong, I actually really enjoy my boss. He is fun, smiles, compliments, and gives me business direction. He helps me feel part of a team and appreciates my efforts. When he and his boss visited the store that I manage, I felt... intimidated. My bosses boss (we'll call him Bob) was very "to the point" and "don't say anything nice". My biggest frustration wasn't the fact or how he told us what to do or how a product should be displayed. It was that everything he said was directed only to my boss, not me. I would have thought that sense it was my store that I should have been the one receiving some of the direction.

My boss talked to me after Bob was dropped off at the air port. He told me that all in all the visit was good. He too was frustrated about a few things that Bob said and did, but we also realized that Bob had good things to share with us too.

To relate this to my Human Resource class, we have talked a lot about employee employer relations. Most of what I have learned about world class businesses and their employees is that they show appreciation towards their employees. In contrast, Bob did not display this during his visit... at least not that I saw. I guess that I am glad that I have a good boss who I can enjoy visits with, laugh with, but receive constructive criticism from too.

No comments:

Post a Comment